BMW Australia has confirmed the mammoth XM Label Red is due to arrive locally by the end of 2023. Aside from looking as friendly and as inviting as an agitated red-belly black snake, this is a big deal as it debuts a V8 plug-in hybrid powertrain that is also set to power the next-gen M5 performance sedan.
The XM features an all-new 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 hybrid package never before used in any production BMW model, aside from the company’s M Hybrid V8 GTD racing car (in race tune). In the Label Red specifically, the package develops an insane 550kW and 1000Nm.
Yep, you read that correctly. 1000Nm. Part of that is thanks to the electric motor that provides 145kW and 280Nm alone. The total output is up by 70kW and 200Nm over the standard XM which has already been confirmed for Australia – it was scheduled to arrive in the first half of 2023.
Electric power is supplied by a 25.7kWh battery that supports AC charging at up to 7.4kW, requiring around 4.25 hours to recharge from 0-100 per cent. Like the regular XM, the new Label Red is capable of driving on electric power alone, in this case 83km, down from 88km in the regular XM.
So, what sort of performance are we talking here? Well, it is a big and heavy vehicle (weight not mentioned), but BMW claims 0-100km/h in 3.8 seconds and a top speed limited to 250km/h. It also offers an official fuel consumption average of 1.6-1.7L/100km.
This powertrain package is highly likely to power the upcoming 2024 BMW M5 Competition, with the regular 2024 M5 set to adopt the standard XM’s V8 plug-in hybrid package that develops 480kW and 800Nm. These figures haven’t been officially confirmed for the M5 but our bet is they will be close.
Being a proper M model and not merely an M Performance special, the XM Label Red comes fitted with a range of high-performance hardware. Examples include an M Sport differential and adaptive M suspension, bespoke 22-inch M Light alloy wheels, M compound brakes, and a range of exterior trimmings to help separate the model visually from the rest.
BMW Australia has confirmed it has secured 30 examples of a special Label Red Edition version of the new model, adding Frozen Carbon Black paint finish from the BMW Individual department, Toronto Red inserts and highlights, red-accented wheels, and a matching interior theme with a ‘1 of 500’ build plaque inside.
Now for the difficult part, the prices. You wouldn’t think it would come cheap, so don’t be too shocked to see a starting price of $344,200 for the XM Label Red, and $349,900 for the Label Red Edition. This is a decent step up from the regular XM’s starting price of $297,900 (all before on-road costs). See below for the highlight standard features. It arrives late in 2023.
Local specification and pricing
The BMW XM Label Red standard specification, additional items offered above and beyond the regular BMW XM in bold:
- BMW M TwinPower Turbo V8 with M HYBRID developing 550kW/1000Nm
- Adaptive M Suspension Professional
- Eight-speed M Steptronic transmission
- M Sport Differential
- 22-inch M Light alloy wheels (23-inch wheels a no cost option)
- Tyre Pressure Monitor
- Travel & Comfort System
- Heated and cooled front cup holders
- M Multifunction front seats
- M Seat Belts
- M High-Gloss Shadow Line
- Comfort Pack (Ventilated Seats, Massage Function, Heat Comfort Pack, Heated Front
and Rear Seats)
- Sun Protection Glazing
- Driving Assistant Professional
- Parking Assistant Plus
- Live Cockpit Professional with HUD
- BMW Connected Package Professional
- Bowers & Wilkins Surround Sound System
- Wireless Smartphone Charging
- Digital Radio
- Comfort Access
- Soft Close Doors
- BMW Gesture Control
- Personal eSim
- BMW IconicSounds Electric
- BMW Individual Interior with Leather ‘Merino’ upholstery in Black/Fiona Red combination
- BMW Individual Metallic Paintwork
- M signature interior trim in Carbon Fibre, featuring M accents in red and blue
- 4-Zone Climate Control
- BMW Iconic Glow illuminated grille surround
- 5 Year BMW Service Inclusive (BSI) package
- Flexible Fast charge cable (Mode 2)
- Public Charging cable (Mode 3)
BMW XM Label Red Edition
The BMW XM Label Red Edition standard specification above and beyond the BMW XM Label Red variant:
- BMW Individual Frozen Carbon Black exterior finish
- Kidney frame, rear diffuser inserts and waistline in Toronto Red
- 22-inch M light allow wheels Double Spoke 922 in Jet Black with Red Accent
- BMW Individual leather ‘Merino’ with exclusive contents in Fiona Red/Black
- “1 of 500” plaque located in cabin